Friday, October 11, 2013

My New Home, My job, My room mates.

     Well, she's not much to look at, but she will keep the rain and snow off our head. I'm writing about the Quonset Hut that is now my home, with patch's of sheet metal to keep out the storms, once again i feel lucky that i am Not up on the front lines living in a hole in the ground. When us new replacements arrived, there was no one to welcome us, but then along came a pfc, he answered all questions. "Soldier you go into that first hut, take your gear to last bed against the rear wall" (the procedure is new men go to the back, and move toward the front when others rotate home, it sounds very simple.... Just go to the back of the bus.... and slowly work your way out the front door and home). Well its time for me to get out in the field, and get started inspecting some Ammo. I am waiting at our assembly point, and i start sparring with another new person and my eyeglasses get broken, and i don't have a spare, so i ask an officer what to do. Now i must go back into Pusan to a lab... to get two pair of glasses (it's an all day deal) and when i get back to my company, my roommates tell me that I'm "in trouble and the base Commander wants to see me the next day at 9am". I guess it was because i was in Pusan for the whole day. So i will go and say that everything was very slow at the clinic nothing like New York, where its all hurry-hurry we gotta get it done and by the way, just what is that smell? Brother its human fertilizer, and has been applied to the paddies for hundreds of years. But! you will get to a point where you will not smell it any more.

next time: i visit our Base Commander.
ScribbleMeister
Jesse E. Kern
Korea 1953-54

No comments:

Post a Comment