Friday, October 11, 2013

Remembering Lincoln's Birthday

     I could never forget the birthday of The Great Emancipator Feb 12. Feb 12 1953,was the day my neighbors summoned me to be examined down at "The Draft Board", once again our Government poked their nose into Asia and found a major War had begun.

    There are differences of opinion on just how that conflict began,lets take the American version. That the North Koreans, trying to unify the two Koreas invaded South Korea and the "conflict "was begun. That is about the story. when my Draft Board called upon me for some assistance. I had a good 
physical exam, and then joined a line (waiting to see the last Doctor, He would give the final ok) My first remarks were, Sir did you see the paper about the Appendectomy that i had only five weeks ago, and don't you think a couple of weeks more of rest should be in order ? and i have worn glasses all my life, he responds "you will do just fine" Please go thru that door.... Inside was a room with about 40 young men, soon we were told "raise your right hand (we were now on the payroll).  We were sent to a Camp in New Jersey Then on to Aberdeen, Maryland for Basic Training for 3 months, then i attended
the Ammo Supply School, also in Aberdeen, with all that training it was time for me to be sent to Germany,Korea,or some base in The U.S.. My Orders were Korea.

     I was given a train ticket New York To Tacoma, Wash. I traded the ticket for a plane ticket (giving me two more days home) and it was my first Plane ride. As usual Tacoma was used to assemble a Troop ship load of soldiers, after a few days orders were cut and soon we were loading aboard a large ship, and we were soon underway, packed four high. There was lots of talk about the war we were about to join, and the closer we got to Yokohama, the more feeling of depression hung over the entire ship. On the morning of our 11th day at sea, a headline in the ship newspaper announced (July 27 1953) a cease fire was declared in Korea. Those troopers who would never smile or talk much, were now talking and joking. The unbearable pressure was relieved ... Perhaps we won't be killed in this bloody War ! ! !

Next installment: Our ship arrives in Yokohama, then a train ride South

                                                   ScribbleMeister
                                                   Jesse E. Kern
Korea 1953-54

No comments:

Post a Comment